A Guide to Website Image Basics
- JPEGs and PNGs are most common on the web.
- JPEGs and PNGs can both be used, but JPEGs are the most common and highly recommended for most situations
- PNGs have a transparent background
- JPEGs have a solid background
- Only use a PNG when you do not want a solid background on your image
- Use JPEGs all the other times
- File type can also depend on the purpose of the image
- Usually banner images and content images are JPEGs
- Icons depend on the use case but are most commonly either PNG or JPEGs.
File Size and Resolution
- Having a large scale, high resolution image is helpful to start with, but never upload a high resolution image
- Always scale down your image if it is larger than the content area
- Don't try to make a small image larger than it already is
- Make sure your image is under 100 KB (kilobytes)
- Size down your image to be 72 PPI (pixels per inch)