Responsive Web Design
What Is Responsive Design?
This design approach is a solution to providing an optimal viewing experience across a wide range of devices (from desktop computer monitors to mobile phones). The idea behind RWD is to provide a simple and elegant answer to the ever-growing proliferation of various screen sizes. And since mobile web traffic has eclipsed non-mobile web traffic in the last few years, Responsive Web Design in now the industry standard that website viewers expect and which website design and development firms commonly employ.
How Does Responsive Design Work?
A responsively designed website adapts the layout to the viewing environment by using fluid, proportion-based grids, flexible images, and CSS3 media queries. The media queries essentially allow the website to query the user’s device to find out that the size of that device’s viewing area. The elements of the website are built using a flexible grid which allows its presentation to adapt as needed. This most often involves the elimination of some elements for the mobile view as well as a stacking of the elements that remain. Images are also automatically scaled for optimal viewing.
Why Does Responsive Design Matter?
This web design strategy has gained widespread adoption because of the enhancements to the content and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling on mobile devices. And given the rapid expansion of mobile web viewing, Google now gives preference to websites that are mobile optimized. This has had a significant impact in the realm of search, particularly Search Engine Optimization. Websites that are not built using Responsive Web Design are at a significant disadvantage in how major search engines index and rank them.
Responsive Design Best Practices
- Mobile menus are oriented from the left side.
- Content is not dependent on rollover or hover states
- Copy is not located in JPEGs, so that it is free to be edited via the CMS
- Clicks are also touch points
Our team really enjoyed working with ipso... Now, we have a top-notch website that is beautiful, functional, and easy to navigate. Thank you, ipsoCreative!Lauren Gajdek Christian Healthcare Ministries, Communications Director
Learn Why These Things Matter Too
Custom Website DevelopmentIf future enhancements to your website are important to you, we’ll guide you through the different options in custom web development so that you don’t experience unnecessary limitations. We’ll work collaboratively with you in defining and documenting your unique technical requirements.
Contact Us About Your Web Design Needs
- Akron, OH
Discovery Guide | Sales Manager
In the first 5 minutes of talking with Robyn, you’ll most likely realize three things:
1. She’s the most warm and welcoming human you’ll ever meet
2. She’s a careful listener who cares about others
3. She’s got a great sense of humor, but starts laughing before the words come out.
Send Robyn a Message:
- Pasadena, CA
Discovery Guide | Partner & Pasadena Managing Director
In talking with Jon for the first time, you’ll likely discover the following:
1. He’s a coach at heart and loves discovering how he can help others
2. He’s drawn to how things work and figuring out how to make things work
3. He doesn’t believe something is lost unless you are looking for it.
Send Jon a Message:
- Greenville, SC
Discovery Guide | Partner & Leading Director
At first you’ll wonder exactly how old he is, but then you’ll likely discover:
1. He’s intentional and has more travel and life stories than seems possible
2. He’s interested in how business can contribute to the common good
3. He’s actually 43 yrs old despite his appearance.
Send Brent a Message: